Wednesday, February 21, 2024

"My God"

Lately I’ve been reading Henry Emerson Fosdick’s book The Meaning of Prayer. There are a lot of great insights in the book, but I want to share something he said about Psalm 63.

Fosdick suggests that “the practice of prayer is necessary to make God not merely an idea held in the mind but a Presence recognized in the life.” In other words, until you start seeking and engaging God on a personal level through prayer, God will only be a belief, a theoretical thing, way off in some invisible heaven. Prayer makes God a real Presence in your life—a person you talk to, not just an idea you believe in.

Then he points to Psalm 63:1: “O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is.” (KJV) Fosdick’s focus is on the opening line, “O God, thou art my God.” He writes: 

“O God,” is easy, but it is an inward and searching matter to say, “O God, thou art my God.”

The two phrases sound so much alike, but he sees a world of difference between them.

“Oh God,” he says, is a theological statement, but “my God” is personal religion.

“Oh God” is an opinion about the universe. “My God” is a vital experience.

“Oh God” is something you think about. “My God” is someone you pray to.

“Oh God” is far off, removed from us. “My God” is a real presence in your life.

Fosdick’s concern here is that so many professing Christians seem content to stop at “Oh God” and never journey on to the real destination: “my God.” We say “Oh God” when we come to church, recite the creed, sing a hymn, or write a check, but we never allow this God to invade our hearts and lives with a love that re-evaluates and reorders everything.

This Lent, I want to challenge you to move from “Oh God” to “my God.”

Maybe you believe God’s out there, but you don’t talk to God. Or your prayers are a list of wants and needs, but never make room for God to speak, never assume Jesus has anything to say to you.

Maybe you attend church dutifully, but you don’t set aside time to connect with God and foster that relationship during the rest of the week.

Maybe you read and hear interesting messages from scripture, but you don’t apply them to your life—you don’t let them impact how you treat others, what you’ll say to someone, the way you spend money, whether you’ll offer forgiveness.

Is there some way you’re keeping the Lord at arm’s length? Then what is one step you can take to make God a more regular presence in your life? How could you begin prioritizing a personal relationship with God, instead of abstractly acknowledging a deity? How do you need to rearrange your schedule or change your spiritual habits to start acting like God is “my God”?

Listen to this week's devotional below:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

Indeed!! I will commit to making My God more personal🙏