Monday, February 29, 2016

the suffering of Christ



Yesterday in worship I preached on God's faithfulness in suffering. The faithfulness that Thomas Dorsey experienced when he wrote "Precious Lord, Take My Hand"; the faithfulness that the apostle Paul speaks of in 1 Corinthians 10:13: "God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it." Many people have encountered God's presence and power for endurance right in the middle of their pain and suffering.

Then this morning I was reading in Consuming Fire, a 365-day devotional version of George MacDonald's classic Unspoken Sermons, and MacDonald turned to the topic of Jesus's suffering on the cross.

It is with the holiest fear that we should approach the terrible fact of the sufferings of our Lord. Let no one think that those were less because he was more... My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Never before had he been unable to see God beside him. Yet never was God nearer to him than now. He could not see, could not feel him near, and yet it is "My God" that he cries.

No comments: