Tuesday, January 12, 2016

David Bowie (1947-2016)

Sunday the news broke that musician, actor, and artist David Bowie passed away at age 69, after an 18 month battle with cancer. He had released a new album just last week, which now we know was a sort of parting gift from the music legend.

My wife, Emily, is a devoted Bowie fan and has been since before I met her. (She ordered his new album a few weeks back, and it should come in this week, though the listening experience will be very different now.) I had never really listened to his music until we were married. I'm still no connoisseur, but now I do get excited anytime I hear "Heroes" and "Modern Love," and I appreciate a good parody. I would say that, to me, his greatest work is the film The Prestige... if it weren't for "Under Pressure."

Bowie and Freddy Mercury wrote and recorded "Under Pressure" together in 1981. I know it's probably cliché, but this is my favorite Bowie song, and here is a chilling isolated vocal track of the song (apologies to the rest of Queen!) that I wanted to share in honor of, well, both of these men. What music.



"Love dares you to care for the people on the edge of the night, and love dares you to change our way of caring about ourselves. This is our last dance..."

No comments: