Saturday, May 19, 2012

Q&A with Eugene Peterson

A while back, the Flunking Sainthood blog at the Religion News Service posted a two-part Q&A with author and retired pastor Eugene Peterson. The first part focuses on Peterson's famous Bible paraphrase, The Message, while part 2 concerns his other writing and particularly his recent memoir, The Pastor--although a number of other issues come up, including some interesting reflections on what and how we read.
Over the years, I have really come to appreciate Peterson, who has written wonderful books on the Psalms, pastoral care, Christian spiritual practices, and a number of other topics. I admit, I don't like The Message. I've tried and tried, but I just can't get past the sheer foreignness of the text when I read it in such a creative and unusual paraphrase. Maybe you've had a similar experience. Nevertheless, Peterson is an exceptionally thoughtful and intelligent man with over 50 years of experience in ministry and a deep knowledge of Scripture which fuel his thoroughly engaging writing. I think he's definitely worth your time.

You can check out the interview over at Flunking Sainthoodpart 1 and part 2.

No comments: