Monday, March 08, 2010

fun with Martin Luther


Occasionally the great Reformer will say something really entertaining, at least to me.
This is from Luther's commentary on the book of Genesis:
We all realize how much of the dominion which man received in Paradise was lost after our defilement by sin. And yet what a great blessing it still is that this dominion was turned over to man and not to the devil! For how could we withstand our invisible enemy if he had not only the determination to inflict harm but also the power to do so? In one hour, in one moment, we would all be annihilated if Satan stirred up merely the wild beasts against us.

A man of great insight.

I hope to have some proper posts up soon, but I'm making no guarantees there. This has been an insanely busy semester--Luther & friends have been taking up much of my time and energy. We'll see how the coming weeks treat me, though.

2 comments:

無尾熊可愛 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daniel McLain Hixon said...

I'm not sure what the previous comment says :(

You know, after I chuckled about this Luther quote, it occured to me that the Devil was mostly likely wondering just WHY these "two legged animals" had been the ones to recieve God's blessing of stewardship; why had the brightest of all the heavenly host been passed up. If it was a job he wanted (and I'll bet it was).