Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Baptists and the Creeds

A hymn I grew up singing said that “My faith has found a resting place, not in device or creed.” A frequent accusation made against Baptist conservatives during the conservative resurgence was that they were “imposing creedalism” on the Southern Baptist Convention.

A rule of thumb for denominational conflict: before making an accusation, make sure that the matter under discussion is actually a bad thing.

iMonk posted on Baptist churches and the Creeds about a month back. Go check it out it you have not; it's a great post.

One of my great hopes for a life in ministry is to see the re-appropriation of the creeds in the life of a Baptist church. Most people in the congregations simply aren't going to have an awareness of the formative history of Christianity and the key (and unthreatening) roles that these creeds played then and have held, universally, since then. I want them to know.

Check out the post!

1 comment:

Daniel McLain Hixon said...

You know, I remember the day that, sitting at the RING when it met at Parkview's sanctuary, I started thumbing through the "Celebration Hymnal" in the pew rack. I was plesantly surprised to discover the Nicene Creed and the Te Deum Laudamus (an ancient hymn of praise with some creedal elements) in the back section.

I don't know that they EVER used them there - but they COULD have...