Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm not even kidding...

I was cleaning up my apartment some this week in anticipation of a quickly-approaching move out, and I found myself going through some old books, long boxed-up. In one such box I discovered what was, if memory serves me, one of the first non-fiction books on Christianity that I ever purchased (almost a decade ago! Wow...): The Gospel According to the Simpsons, by Mark I. Pinsky.
I sat a moment remembering days long-gone and started to place the book aside in a pile (the pile that my books are hoping not to end up in, actually), when on a whim I decided to check out the blurbs on the back.

My eye was first drawn to the name "Will Willimon", which unexpectedly sat at the end of one such blurb. "What a fun book--with serious purpose... I didn't know that Bart Simpson had so much to teach us. Far out!" 

Oh my.

Curious, my eyes proceeded to scan further, only to discover the crown jewel:
"The Simpsons is one of the most subtle pieces of propaganda around in the cause of sense, humility, and virtue. Mark Pinsky manages to decipher the code without deadening the humor, which is quite an achievement." 
- The Most Revered Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury

I then decided to keep the book.

I'm not even kidding.

No comments: