Wednesday, April 01, 2009

a library for the LSU BCM

Over the last few months I've been putting together a simple library for the Baptist Collegiate Ministry at LSU: it's supposed to be a resource for the students there, especially the Bible study leaders. Whenever I heard the word 'library' pop up during our recent renovations on the BCM building, I offered to take the project on, so here we are.
This isn't supposed to be any kind of exhaustive collection, but I've been trying to find accessible, important, and good books and reference works. The books the students will be able to check out... somehow...while the reference books (commentaries, dictionaries, etc.) are to stay in the library, since some things probably won't ever find there way back.

Here's what we have so far.

Here's what we want.

I would most appreciative if you would only consider donating a book or two. And hopefully some of those who consider will donate a book or two. Or three.

Also, if you have any recommendations, let me know.
There are several other books I've considering adding to the wishlist, and it's by no means closed. I'm avoiding 'controversial' titles--Wright's and Borg's The Meaning of Jesus and perhaps the HarperCollins Study Bible being the only exceptions there.
I've been slow to go after fiction so far. I'd love to have a nice selection of fiction, but I'm hoping to avoid silliness. Fiction offers a fine line: Lewis and Tolkien aren't silly (though I'm trying to avoid Narnia); neither are Williams or, say, Neil Gaiman, but they're out for other reasons. Flannery O'Connor is probably out, given the audience. Maybe Father Brown would be good. Most of the popular Christian fiction out today falls into my 'silliness' category. Paul Maier's historical novels may be good picks.
It's just a sticky area, and definitely one to deal with on a case-by-case basis.

Again, any help--books or thoughts--would be greatly appreciated.

5 comments:

Bec said...

Hey Nance, this may be a stupid question, but are you looking for a used copy of the book, or are you asking for us to buy a new copy for the library? I would love to do either, but I have copies of some of those books on the "want" list. So, just let me know! : ) I would love to help.

yuxuan1515 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yuxuan1515 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yuxuan1515 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Josh said...

Two more suggestions - Willard's "The Spirit of the Disciplines" and Peterson's "A Long Obedience in the Same Direction." I'd be happy to donate a book - either one of these or one that's already on your list. Just let me know what you'd prefer.