Wednesday, March 18, 2009

what are people going to think

A pastor in a small town in New Hampshire has just taken in a ex-convict who's served his time and had no where to go. The pastor met with the man--a 60 year-old, who served 35 years, and converted 15 years ago--discussed it and cleared it with his wife and daughters, and has taken the man in for no more than two months. This is mainly to help the man get on his feet, reintegrate into society... if you've seen The Shawshank Redemption, you know what I'm talking about.

And the town is not pleased.
The neighbors are enraged, there have been protests at the pastor's house, and apparently one protestor threatened to burn the house down.

What are people going to think of our Christian charity when it is offered to those who most need it?
Apparently not much.

Understandably there are reservations about the man's presence in the small town, but this reaction comes as a bit of a shock to me. Some people are simply unloving (one person interviewed called the ex-con "trash"... I sincerely doubt they've ever met, or that the interviewee knew this man existed until recently), most are afraid, and none seem to believe in the prison system's ability to rehabilitate in any sense or, apparently, in the punishment that's-on-the-books' capacity for preventing such acts.

I personally take joy in what I hear this pastor doing. I don't expect everyone outside of the Church to understand, but I'm still glad it's in the news. But what are your thoughts?

Thanks, Dan, for the link.

1 comment:

Bec said...

Hey Nance,

Tonight as people told you some encouraging things, and, in your words "made us feel really weird," I thought of something I wanted to say. I just didn't want to say it publicly, because it makes me sound like a stalker. lol.

I like reading your blog. You are a great writer, and I like to read your thoughts on movies, God's Word, etc. So, thanks for being awesome. I will be praying for you as you go where God leads, and of course, I will be virtually following you on your blog.

(I promise I'm not a creeper... lol.)

Thanks for being awesome and loving the Lord.
Rebecca