Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Andrew Murray on obedience

I've been reading through Andrew Murray's classic The True Vine for the last few weeks with The Ring Community Church, as part of the church's 30 days of prayer. Murray's little book is, as you might have guessed, an extended meditation on the first part of John 15. The daily readings from Murray range from 'well that's refreshing' to 'oh... wow.'
Yesterday's reading drew from John 15.10: "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love." Some of Murray's reflections on this very were very insightful, so I thought I'd share!
He took our human nature to teach us how to wear it, and show us how obedience, as it is the first duty of the creature, is the only way to abide in the favor of God and enter into His glory… 
God's will is the very center of His divine perfection. As revealed in His commandments, it opens up the way for the creature to grow into the likeness of the Creator. In accepting and doing His will, I rise into fellowship with Him. Therefore it was that the Son, when coming into the world, spoke: "I come to do thy will, O God"! This was the place and this would be the blessedness of the creature. This was what he had lost in the Fall. This was what Christ came to restore.

This all reminded me of what Paul writes in Ephesians 4 about the 'truth we learned in Christ': "to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." (:22-24)

The teachings of our faith are simply beautiful.

If you want to check out Murray's Vine, the whole thing's available online here.

"Let us confess that simple, implicit, universal obedience has taken too little the place it should have." - The True Vine

No comments: