Thursday, October 04, 2007

Erasmus gets two thumbs up!

Researching for my recent paper on Calvinistic determinism has been a really educational experience, with one major perk being that I find myself reading Luther, Calvin, Erasmus, and even Barth all for the first time.
As a result, I've discovered over the last two weeks that when it comes to Desiderius Erasmus, apparently I'm a fan. I'd even go so far as to add him to the list of 'people whom I'd like to think I'd be friends with', along with G. K. Chesterton, and of course Jack Lewis, among others.

The further into his On the Freedom of the Will I get, the more I realize that my whole paper was apparently just a shorter, less thorough version of his argument. Oh well. The man's theology, I've found, is well-founded in scripture, well-reasoned through, and often presented with a level of sarcasm and cheek that I of all people can very much appreciate.

If you've not read Erasmus, or some of the other big names that are oft-referenced but never read (as Mark Twain might remark), I certainly commend them to you. And for the vast majority of you who already have, just be happy for me, and try to take everything I've said on the blog prior to two weeks ago seriously nonetheless.

2 comments:

Daniel McLain Hixon said...

You realize of course that Erasmus was the...CATHOLIC!!!!

hahaha. I have been wanting to read him for years myself...

Nance said...

hey hey, I probably lean more towards the Catholic view on a lot of pretty central things, but I also dissent in several areas, and so we arive at the Church of England.