Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Looking at Jacques Ellul

As this book review is quick to point out, you don't hear a lot about Jacques Ellul these days. Heck, all I really know is that 1)he was French(duh) 2)he was a theologian and 3)he's a favorite of my Dad's. The former two tell me little; the latter speaks volumes.
So when I noticed the book review here of some of Ellul's work, it caught my eye. Check it out; you never know when the writer who will speak to you the most in life will decide to drop a quote or a manuscript in your hands, so always keep a watch out.

-N

2 comments:

Daniel McLain Hixon said...

Hey nice article. I should probably try to learn more about Ellul this semester since I am in Moral Theology...
They have a little anthology of his writings called something to the effect of "Resisting the Powers" that has a little reading for each day of the year. These kinds of presentations are attractive to me b/c they are easy, but sometimes they can be disappointing b/c you don't really get to stay with an argument for very long - especially if it changes authors every couple of days. Hmm....

Nance said...

Yeah, you know I'm pretty familiar with those kinds of books. I've never used one that switched authors though... doesn't sound quite as appealing as '365 days of Lewis' or something.
I didn't know there was one for Ellul though, might have to look into that in the fall when Lewis and MacDonald are done.